If you are fairly certain of your selections and wish to place a bet on the Cox Plate, here are a few tips:
For Ante-post Betting
- Runners with odds of higher than 20-1 have seen few victories, so best to restrict your ante-post bets to entries with odds below 16-1.
- Ante-post favourites have had less than a 30% victory rate, so consider early favourites for the Cox Plate for Place or Each Way wagers as opposed to Win bets. An example where this more cautious betting option would have paid was last year in 2008 when the Cox Plate ante-post favourite Samantha Miss at 4/1 placed third.
For Betting On the Day
- In the past ten years four mares have been triumphant in the Cox Plate, so look out for quality mares who dominate in their lead up Carnival races.
- Runners-up in the previous few years’ Plate runs have shown to improve their form and place or win again in the race, such as El Segundo who won the Cox Plate in 2007 after a close second placing the previous year.
- A trend that has proved profitable and dependable for punters who stick by it, is that short-priced favourites have had the majority of victories over the outsiders. The last roughie to win and upset this trend was Dane Ripper in 1997 at 40-1.
- Only three of the last 25 Cox Plate winners raced within 12 days of the race, so look at the number of days since the runner’s last race in the lead-up to the Cox Plate.
- Horses to triumph in the previous Cox Plates travelled an average distance of 6.6 kilometres, so discovering the number of kilometres runners have travelled in preparation for the Plate is also worth doing before placing your bet.
- The Moonee Valley racecourse is renowned for its testing conditions and only the best race horses are able to successfully navigate the track, so look at runners who have had earlier race experience on the course.
- Look at the form of the runner’s in the serious lead-up races to the Cox Plate like the Turnbull and Yalumba Stakes. Performances in these races can go a long way in determining which competitors stand the best chance of lasting the distance in the Cox Plate.
-And finally, as with any horse race, the biggest tip you can take is to study the form and field guides, which contain all the essential information like the runners age, weight, barrier number, previous race performances, jockey and trainer, which can all be used to aid your selection of the runners with the best chance of success for the Cox Plate with its long distance and other specific race conditions that make it such a testing race of endurance and ability.
Cox Plate Exotic Betting Tips
The Cox Plate offers more than just the standard betting option with a choice of exotic bet options such as the Trifecta, Quinella, Exacta and First Four.